Peer Pitch & Concept Refinement Chart


AICE Media Studies AS 

Portfolio Project Concept Refinement 

Fall 2020 

CATEGORY 

DETAILS 

Film OR Magazine 

Magazine 

Genre 

Sports 

Target Audience (Be specific) 

Special Interest, this is due to not everyone having an interest in sports. There are still plenty of teenagers who would be intrigued to know about college level athletes. They would be interested to know their techniques and how they deal with the pressure of the big games. 

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard) 

My concept of my magazine will illustrate the immense struggle, vast amount of passion as well as commitment you have to have if you are planning on pursuing a certain sport. I will begin by an intriguing front cover page, which will include cliffhanger subheadings and a bright colored title named: “The Inside.” To create my magazine I will start a production schedule in order to ensure the magazine is written and proofread perfectly before it hits the shelves. The cover will clearly have an image of the main athlete that I will be interviewing. The contents of my article will include these interviews of my main athlete along with other athletes; I will ask them a number of questions in order to get the information for people who truly have a passion for sports will want to know. 

How did you conceive the idea for this concept? 

I came up with this concept by always having an interest in sports. I’m always intrigued to know more about sports and the players. I also am interested in learning new techniques players are able to utilize to increase their performance on the field/stadium. 

What do you believe is unique about your concept? 

I believe my concept is unique because it displays information that plenty of people want to know, but might not know where to go to access this information. Most people wouldn’t be able to get the “inside scoop” of how athletes truly feel on and off the field. Also stands out because most sports magazine are geared to one certain sport or uses sex appeal in order to get it picked up off the shelve. Where I would incorporate all sports and wouldn’t include a model on the cover because that has nothing to do with sports. 

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience? 

I believe my product will be of interest to my audience because it will target a specific demographic in order to help them learn players specific techniques. Also people will be able to read about players passion when it comes to performing well on the field 

  

  

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS 

  

1.        You should focus more on one sport in order to make your magazine stand out. 

2.        Focus more on college level athletes 

3.       Remember who your target audience is. 

4.     Remember who your competing against 

5. Focus on one person in order to avoid going off topic by chance.

  

  

Narrative

   I never expected such an immense struggle to create a unique, productive and innovative magazine until I had to take on the task myself. I understand the constructive criticism I received on my magazine pitch. I was told by my peers that I should focus more on one sport in order for my magazine to stand out and appeal to the correct demographic. I can acknowledge that this is correct, due to many magazines that focus on all sports and interview famous athletes, so i should prioritize one sport in order for my magazine to stand out, so I appeal more to a certain number of people. I was also told that I should focus more on college level athletes, remember who my target audience is and center my feature article and cover pager around one athlete. I also recognize how correct this statement is because if I choose to do this it will give my magazine a more unique aspect to it, as well as put my efforts in appealing to teenagers who would be intrigued to know more about college level athletes. 

Then, viewed the data links and the website discussed how the ESPN “magazine readers in the United States has increased in the last four years, with an estimated total of 216.5 million adult readers in 2015. This has coincided with an increase in digital magazine readers, as there were 16 million U.S. digital magazine readers in 2015, in comparison to 3.3 million in 2011” (Watson, 2020). This information is important because it stresses how popular the ESPN sports magazine and digital magazine has become. It displays that if I create a distinctive enough sports magazine, I could potentially change the game when it comes to sports magazine industry. If I interview a first year college level athlete it will help other rising athletes discover tips and tricks, so they are prepared and aware of what their getting themselves into. On a different website it stated  Since virtually anyone can publish these days, there are many more voices finding their way into the public sphere. Delivering that content to a target audience is key” (Baysinger, 2019). This statement displays how important it is to prioritize how you are delivering content you create, so I will ask many questions in my interview to include interesting facts about a certain athlete in my magazine in order to draw in the reader. Finally on the same website it stated “The key,” writes Lobb, “is understanding how customers want to engage with the publication, and then making it as simple as possible to do so” (Baysinger, 2019). This statement informs me that I need to include well organized layout in order for readers to be able to connect to my publication; I will do this by possibly including oncoming college athletes ability to leave feedback and include it each time in the following magazine. 

 After I read my assigned article I was able to incorporate what the author was discussing into my concept. In the article by Camille T. Dungy, The Abundance, Joy, Beauty, Persistence, Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing: A CONVERSATION WITH SIX BLACK EDITORS, Nov-Dec 2020, (Vol. 48, Issue 6); It stated that “no matter how much historical power or privilege they have. To be able to explore that within publishing, use it to have conversations with the world, and better understand the world outside of my own bubble.” This statement makes me realize how important it is to open your arms and heart in order to be open to new ideas. I would incorporate this by taking the feedback that I receive from readers and apply what they say by adding and or subtracting content in order to make my readers pleased. Also it that same article by Camille T. Dungy, The Abundance, Joy, Beauty, Persistence, Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing: A CONVERSATION WITH SIX BLACK EDITORS, Nov-Dec 2020, (Vol. 48, Issue 6); It stated that “To even solicit, we need to create a massive network of writers, cultural workers, critics, and friends from all over the world, to suggest the names of poets that are promising. I also spend a great deal of time paying attention to African poets publishing in journals and periodicals around the world,” This statement made me realize that I need to shed light on a way to incorporate diversity, so my magazine will be able to have a wider demographic that pleases everybody. I will do this by incorporating African American athletes, white athletes, Asian athletes, Indian athletes, etc., so no one feels excluded and people are able to learn tips and tricks from their own cultured, but because i was told to only discuss one athlete; i could use diversity to create an interesting cover line instead of incorporating it into my feature article.



Comments