Creativity & Genre



     When creating any piece of work it is extremely important to think outside the box. It’s a necessity to think in ways no one would anticipate. In the article by Michael F. Shaughnessy, An Interview with Ron Beghetto: Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Life, Sept 2020 (Vol. 22, Issue 3); He stated, “creative self-efficacy does seem necessary for taking creative risks, sustaining efforts, and trying again after setbacks.” I strongly agree with this statement because creative self-efficacy is about our confidence to perform creatively on a specific task, without it people might lack passion for taking those creative risks and could lack performance skills. 



      “Sports Illustrated” will be my inspiration when creating my personal magazine. I researched and discovered the co-editor is split between Steve Cannella and Ryan Hunt. Steve Cannella was known for being the executive editor of Sports 
Illustrated, but became co-editor with Ryan Hunt after the passing of Chris Stone. Ryan Hunt was known for being the managing editor of “SI.com.” Also enjoy the USA Today Sports Weekly  and would want to emulate it as well. The managing editor of the magazine is Roxanne Scott she said "we will tell stories about how sports unite and inspire us, but also of the way they challenge us to think and see the world differently"; Thus giving me an inventive idea of what I would want to incorporate in my magazine. 

When I creating my magazine, I would emulate publishing magazines such as the Sports Illustrated magazine that had a feature article titled “What Next?: WHY KOBE BRYANT NEEDS PHIL JACKSON TO WIN ANOTHER RING” . I would categorize this magazine under special interest because it is geared towards a specific audience who are interested in a specific subject in this case sports, which is exactly what I want to do because I personally only find sports to be interesting to me, so my magazine would fall into the special interest category as well. I enjoy the typography of this magazine, because it is bold, but creative due to the outlined words in the title, so it will stand out more, which is an excellent selling technique. In order to make my magazine more innovative I would include pull quotes because I think it is a creative way to express the personality of the athlete on the cover page. This magazine contains a famous person on the cover as well as cover lines of other famous sport players and coaches, which is great, but in order to be creative I would of added more elements to make it stand out besides a picture of Kobe Bryant.  I personally would take out the sex appeal of most sports illustrated magazines and strictly keep it about all implements that relate to sports.


         During class I did an activity titled “New Introductions.” I felt strange to describe myself by using inanimate objects, but it helped me open my eyes to creativity and think in innovative ways. I personally believe this activity helped me understand that there are no limits when it comes to creativity. During class I also watched a “Ted Talk” where a man discussed outliers which is “a person or thing differing from all other members of a particular group or set.” He also discussed how creativity comes in weird forms Thomas Edison would hold a penny at his knees and a tin pan below and his muscles would relax the penny would drop and he would write down whatever he was thinking. Salvador Dali fell asleep on his easel and fall over then when he woke up, he would sketch whatever he dreamt about. People would have their most creative ideas at interesting times. 

      To conclude, I envision my magazine to be strictly about sports and how athletes deal with the pressure of big games, their strive to stay motivated and how they stay in shape. I will interview candidates that meet these requirements. Then the content of my magazine will consist of these interviews. This vision excites me because it will display the inside scoop of what athletes must endure that people possibly don’t even think about. I will create a magazine that will ensure that everyone knows everything that goes into being an athlete. 


Comments